A Spoonful of Somerville to Delight Festival Viewers this Saturday at the 15th Annual What the Fluff? A Tribute to Union Square Innovation Festival
[Somerville, MA, September 8, 2020] What the Fluff? A Tribute to Union Square Innovation returns for a 15th year this Saturday, September 12. This zany, madcap festival honors the invention of Marshmallow Fluff by Archibald Query in Somerville in 1917 and salutes the spirit of innovation that thrives in Union Square today.
This year’s theme — In Fluff We Trust: Sticking Together Thru Fluff — celebrates that in a world reinventing itself, Fluff Fest 2020 unites us – albeit virtually – through the one thing we can all believe in: the sweet, sticky, tasty, magical power of Fluff!
Fluff enthusiasts will convene at www.FluffFestival.com for games, music, guest appearances from Fluff’s past, and more with programming available at 11am, 6pm, and 8pm:
- Hilarious antics with sticky activities like Fluff Hairdos, Fluff Fear Factor, and Blind Man’s Fluff (demo hosted at Play Union) on the virtual Shenanigans Stage hosted by Fluff Fest’s longtime Archibald Query impersonator
- A Fluff Cooking Corner where Cooking Contest Winners from past festivals share their award-winning, culinary homecooking genius
- Fluff Movement Challenges hosted by Parkour Generations Boston
- A virtual marketplace featuring a highly curated collection of the finest Fluff Stuff created by makers and artists near and far
- At 6pm, Emcee Erica Jones warms you up for performances spanning a spectrum of styles:
- Oodles of savory and sweet Fluff-inspired dishes, libations, and treats from Union Square’s eateries, markets, and breweries: keep small strong!
“In Fluff We Trust dishes two important things: an opportunity to take a spoonful of Somerville in respite with community, and to shine a spotlight on local businesses, showcasing them at a time when they will benefit from any extra eyes and engagement we may be able to inspire,” said Jessica Eshleman, executive director of Union Square Main Streets. “We know Fluff Fest has been embraced by thousands in the past 14 years. Ironically, now in its 15th year, this cherished community tradition called upon us as organizers to get innovative ourselves and rise to the purpose of the What the Fluff? Festival, which is to celebrate innovation in Union Square. And so In Fluff We Trust, we invite the community to stick together and love local a little extra with us this Saturday.”
Eshleman emphasizes that the festival is virtual, and there will be no in-person events or gatherings. Attendees are encouraged to have “sticky fun from home,” and to stay in and order out to enjoy their local treats. The goal is to support local businesses while celebrating this tradition as safely as possible.
“More, this year offers a special chance for folks to boast worldwide fluff pride,” said Eshleman. “There’s something nostalgic about Fluff – whether reminiscing about eating fluffernutters as a kid or adding a dollop to hot cocoa – Fluff easily brings about nostalgia and a sense of home. Going virtual means everyone can partake since the festival can be viewed from anywhere. While an unexpected benefit, worldwide fluff pride really can keep us sticking together through fluff.”
So for the love of Fluff, boast your worldwide Fluff pride, support independently-owned, and flock with fellow friends-in-Fluff through the first-ever, virtual Fluff Festival.
The endlessly entertaining What the Fluff? Festival is made possible by the generosity of its sponsors: Somernova, Verizon, Boynton Yards – a DLJ and Legat McCall project, USQ, Somerville Media Center, Ticket Union, East Boston Savings Bank, Naveo Credit Union, and Master Printing + Signs.
- Date: Saturday, September 12, 2020:
- Fluff All Day: Sticky Fun at Home available at 11am
- Livestream begins at 6pm
- Fluff Trivia hosted by Aeronaut Brewing begins at 8pm
- Where: This virtual event is viewable at www.FluffFestival.com with Fluff inspired goodies available for takeout and delivery from Union Square businesses. #KeepSmallStrong #StayHomeOrderOut #LoveUnionSquare #InFluffWeTrust
- Cost: Free!
Union Square Main Streets
Union Square Main Streets works to strengthen the dynamic neighborhood of businesses and people in Union Square by promoting and celebrating Union’s unique and spirited character, advocating for and assisting local businesses, working to create welcoming public spaces, and fostering connection and collaboration among diverse stakeholders and partners. More information is available at www.unionsquaremain.org.
Somerville Arts Council’s ArtsUnion
Started in 2005, ArtsUnion is an initiative to enhance the cultural economic development of Union Square. ArtsUnion presents events and markets, offers cultural and historical tours, commissions street furniture and public art, and revises zoning to incentivize arts redevelopment. ArtsUnion is funded by the City of Somerville. More information is available at www.somervilleartscouncil.org